Skrevet av Emne: WikiFur på norsk?  (Lest 22792 ganger)

GreenReaper

• Fur
  • Vandrende norn
    • Vis profil
    • GreenReaper Studios
WikiFur på norsk?
« på: 23. jun, 2009, 00:33 »
WikiFur has over 1000 visitors a month with Norwegian (Bokmål) set as their browser language [and 15 with Nynorsk . . .]

These people want to read about furry topics. I suspect some would like to write, too, but are not confident enough to do so in English. [ureshii]

There do not seem to be many Norwegian-language furry websites. This forum is great, but a forum is not a very good way to provide organized information. I see the FAQ, but there is room to say much more. (WikiFur's address needs updating to wikifur.com there, too ;-).

I know the Norwegian community does not have that many people, but I think a new website might help with that. So . . . does anyone feel like starting a Norwegian edition of WikiFur?

Timduru and I can provide wiki hosting and advice (as we do for Russian, Spanish and other languages); you would just have to write or translate articles - like these - and organize other editors' contributions.

Our Swedish sister project WikiLurv has created over 150 articles in just a few months. Norwegian could work, too - it just needs a few people to start it.

If you're interested - even if you just like the idea - please let me know here. [smile]

Edit: You can use Norwegian to discuss the idea if you don't feel comfortable with English, I can read in translation.
« Siste redigering: 24. jun, 2009, 07:08 av GreenReaper »
Laurence "GreenReaper" Parry
GreenReaper Studios - Flayrah - WikiFur

Wolftale

• Über Fur
  • The Arctic folf of Waterlilies
    • Vis profil
Sv: WikiFur på norsk?
« Svar #1 på: 23. jun, 2009, 04:49 »
Hm.. Interesting =o

Glutexo

• Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #2 på: 23. jun, 2009, 12:16 »
Are the 1000 people different people, or the same person? And did it only happen one month? The last month may have been special, because of Wikipedia. There was discussion about deleting the article about yiff, and one of the administrators linked to the wiki as a source for information. That might have caused more visits.

I also looked at the swedish wiki, and I saw that one single person did almost everything there. If Norway doesn't have a person like that, nothing will be done.

I don't know how much I would do. I think it might be more fun to write for wikipedia. And I would like to be allowed to write in nynorsk. People learn both languages at school anyways. But I don't know if I would do anything at all. I think I will try to do more for wikipedia before I start doing things like that. I am doing two things for Wikipedia now (furry convention and translating furry to nynorsk (and might translate back to fix some of the bad language in the bokmøl version)). Much of the fun in wrtiting it for Wikipedia are the reactions I get, because everyone hate furry. I don't think it would be fun to write something that noone will see. But I have written things for dead wikis earlier, so maybe I would to something.

Something I thought was that maybe it could be possible to make one wiki for all four scandinavian languages, maybe with more articles about the same things in different languages. I don't know if it is an very good idea, and one of the problems could be that it would stop people from editing if the article wasn't made in their language. Just something I thought about.
« Siste redigering: 01. jul, 2009, 23:30 av Graut »

GreenReaper

• Fur
  • Vandrende norn
    • Vis profil
    • GreenReaper Studios
« Svar #3 på: 23. jun, 2009, 17:31 »
The 1000 is unique visits, not hits (there are about 4 hits per Norwegian-speaking user). Of course, it is possible that the Google Analytics cookies were cleared, but in that case people were still returning later to see more articles.

There is a difference of perhaps 100 visits between this month and last month. There is no noticeable spike and the number of hits remained about the same. I do not think Wikipedia had a large impact there.

It's certainly true that a founder is required, though I think there are other reasons specific to the Swedish community for the lack of editing by others. That is why I am here to ask you. I did not just want to put a site up and then have nobody edit. It needs a leader who speaks Norwegian, and who has a connection with the Norwegian community.

If even one person is truly interested in creating a Nynorsk furry wiki, I would help them. Perhaps that person will be you, if you feel more confident about it later. I am merely trying to be realistic: currently, far more visitors to WikiFur appear to use Bokmål, so a wiki using it as the language is likely to be more useful and has a better chance to attract contributors.

Wikipedia is important - no question. But it does not have to be the only game in town. Wikipedia and WikiFur serve different, somewhat-overlapping communities. I started WikiFur because Wikipedia was not interested in covering furry fandom to the depth that would be useful for us. They are not going to have articles on most individual furries, or a little Scandanavian furmeet - it would not be verifiable, for a start. Yet these articles would be interesting and useful to furry fans in Scandanavia. There are currently 125 furry articles on the English Wikipedia, but about 100 times as many in WikiFur.

I cannot say what would be more fun - that is up to you - but there's no reason you can't edit both. I edit on Wikipedia too; in fact I help with WikiProject Furry and the furry portal there. One editor may wear many hats. When I become tired with working on one site, I go to the other one. [smile]

We do have one wiki that supports the different dialects of Chinese. I do not know of a similar method of automatically translating between all Scandanavian languages, though; I agree that it would probably discourage people from editing the articles. You can translate articles between different languages yourself, and then link them together, in the same way that Wikipedia does - we link to both WikiLurv (with sv:) and TurriWiki (fi:). As these are completely separate sites, it would be harder to merge them.
« Siste redigering: 23. jun, 2009, 23:21 av GreenReaper »

Chen

• Senior Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #4 på: 23. jun, 2009, 21:45 »
Just my 0.02 NOK about one issue;
Wikipedia has a large knowledge- and userbase. Lots of people! Lots of stuff to write about.
Us norpaws.. not so much - whyfor split it?
Until such a site would get so many people and articles that it gets to be a problem, I don't see a problem with it. Especially with the linking thing - just link the "other dialect" to your page and the world's green.

If I had to go from one norwegian wikipaw to the other just to see if the writer happened to write in "that other dialect", that'd make me lose interest pretty non-slow.

We now return you to your original programming.
Why wasn't I informed?

Miles T.F. Baxxter

• Grunnlegger
  • Administrator
  • Über Fur
  • Buskasklubben
    • Vis profil
    • LiveJournal
« Svar #5 på: 23. jun, 2009, 22:09 »
I'd probably try contributing the odd article if such a project was started, though not sure how many others would contribute, and not sure if there's a real need for such a wiki considering the size of the Norwegian furry population. And I'd suggest sticking to bokmål for the most part - maybe a separate nynorsk furry wiki?

Also, welcome to newcomer Graut!

GreenReaper

• Fur
  • Vandrende norn
    • Vis profil
    • GreenReaper Studios
« Svar #6 på: 23. jun, 2009, 23:10 »
Wikipedia only puts bokmål/riksmål on no.wikipedia.org, but they have another site for nynorsk. For us, it might be reasonable to allow a nynorsk article on the same wiki, as long as a bokmål article could be there too. Some articles might be written in nynorsk to start with if the topic (or author) is strongly connected with the dialect. An article in nynorsk is much better than no article at all.

((Technical details: One way to handle it would be to place nynorsk in a custom namespace with a template that linked users from the main namespace. If there was a bokmål article [[GreenReaper]], the nynorsk version would be at [[Nynorsk:GreenReaper]]. This would make it easy to find all nynorsk articles, and to move them if a separate site was created later.

We could add a template {{nn|GreenReaper}} to the top of the page [[GreenReaper]] that linked to the nynorsk version [[Nynorsk:GreenReaper]], and add {{nb|GreenReaper}} on that page to link back to [[GreenReaper]]. The nynorsk articles would link to nynorsk terms in the main namespace - so [[Nynorsk:GreenReaper]] would link to [[forlét]] - but that page would have a template that redirects the user to [[Nynorsk:Forlét]] if it exists, or [[forlot]] if it does not. With this arrangement, links would still point to the right place after a move. Of course, forlét is not a furry term, so it should be linked to Wikipedia or not at all, but you get the idea . . .))

The language dialect of the wiki interface itself is a user preference, so that part would not be a problem. You would just have to login.

Miles: Well, we want it to expand, right? ;) A wiki can help people who are thinking about joining the fandom to learn while they are still in "lurk mode". It is much easier for them to join in if they already know about furry concepts, events and people. And while it is possible for them to search through topic-specific websites/forum posts/LiveJournal profiles/etc, wikis bring this information all together.
« Siste redigering: 24. jun, 2009, 07:09 av GreenReaper »

Farejobaldo

• Fur
  • Svensksak
    • Vis profil
« Svar #7 på: 06. aug, 2009, 14:16 »
I do not speak norwegian, and would probably be infolved in this project if it efer comes along, but i suppose the fact that you somehow need to make difference between the two um.. "versions" of the laguage will be a major obstascle.

Anyways, I could see how something like what GreenReaper is proposing would work, that is, making a separate namespace for nynorsk, with a template (or maybe even something built in?) on top of each page, linking to the other "version".

And as for the swedish wiki, quoting_mungo is really working her ass of :P
When she created Swedish Furry Forum, she made like 100 posts before anyone even registered.
"Måhända vet jag inte vad jag talar om, men jag vet i alla fall att jag har rätt!"

GreenReaper

• Fur
  • Vandrende norn
    • Vis profil
    • GreenReaper Studios
« Svar #8 på: 06. aug, 2009, 21:41 »
And as for the swedish wiki, quoting_mungo is really working her ass of :P
When she created Swedish Furry Forum, she made like 100 posts before anyone even registered.
This is always the way. People sometimes think that communities appear by magic. In practice it takes a lot of work to start something new. It is not exciting work, either. You have to talk to people, and build a lot of necessary things behind the scenes.

For a wiki, you also need content, so that people have something to add to. If you are lucky you can get someone to help you, but in most cases 95% of it will be up to you.

On the plus side, with a wiki others may still find your work useful, even if you are the only editor - just like a regular website. Forums, chats and the like tend to be a lot less useful without other participants, and so extra effort needs to be made to encourage others to join in.

Dakota Zaraki

• Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #9 på: 15. des, 2009, 18:03 »
I know this is a really old tread,but I`ll post here anyway.

Have someone createt a norwegian wikifur yet?

And I am interested in this prodject. I can translate articles from Wikifur if you`re interested.
They say that women are from Venus, and men from Mars. Well, I'm from Mercury.

Furaffinity   DeviantArt

GreenReaper

• Fur
  • Vandrende norn
    • Vis profil
    • GreenReaper Studios
« Svar #10 på: 15. des, 2009, 20:33 »

No, nobody has requested that we open one yet. The offer still stands.

WikiLurv is now up to 200 articles, thanks in part to Farejobaldo. Though I will admit it is still not what I would call "active". [ureshii]
« Siste redigering: 15. des, 2009, 20:35 av GreenReaper »

Dakota Zaraki

• Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #11 på: 16. des, 2009, 17:59 »

No, nobody has requested that we open one yet. The offer still stands.

WikiLurv is now up to 200 articles, thanks in part to Farejobaldo. Though I will admit it is still not what I would call "active". [ureshii]

Okey,I volunteer to start a Norwegian edition of Wikifur [smile]. But I wont be able to write much before after christmas.

Furaffinity   DeviantArt

Ziggy Wolf

• Über Fur
  • Shaman of the northen tribe
    • Vis profil
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ziggywolf/
« Svar #12 på: 16. des, 2009, 21:23 »
Need help, pm me andI`ll see what I can do, I am a graphic design student after all.

Dakota Zaraki

• Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #13 på: 17. des, 2009, 00:26 »
Need help, pm me andI`ll see what I can do, I am a graphic design student after all.
Great! It`s a big chance that I`m gonna pm you about wikifur sometime [smile]

Furaffinity   DeviantArt

GreenReaper

• Fur
  • Vandrende norn
    • Vis profil
    • GreenReaper Studios
« Svar #14 på: 19. des, 2009, 01:14 »
OK! The Norwegian WikiFur is online. And very empty! Don't let that big white space scare you, though - it's easy to fill it. [ureshii]

I encourage everyone interested to get on there and start writing. Don't feel you have to wait for anyone to tell you what to do; be bold!

Here is some help for the wiki editing syntax - it is fairly simple, and you can copy the style from English or other languages.

If you do write about a topic that is covered in other languages, please place a language link to at least one other language at the bottom, like this:
[[en:Article name]]

This will help my bot link the article to the same topic in different languages.

If you want to write an article in nynorsk, please put Nynorsk: at the front of the article name. This will put it in the right namespace. (Amusingly, the wiki statistics are only available in nynorsk.)
« Siste redigering: 19. des, 2009, 01:43 av GreenReaper »

Dakota Zaraki

• Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #15 på: 19. des, 2009, 02:36 »
Yaaaay! *Looks at the clock* It`s 02:30am here, so I should go to bed now [yawn]. But when I get up again I`ll start editing [ureshii]
I`m really gonna work on this wiki, translate pages and promoting and stuff. You can count on me.

Furaffinity   DeviantArt

SpiceyFeline

• Gjest
« Svar #16 på: 20. des, 2009, 05:43 »
I registered and wrote an article :3 Will continue later~
Hjelp til, folkens! ^^
Kitten can haz cookies? :3 *mreow*

Wolftale

• Über Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #17 på: 29. des, 2009, 10:04 »
Hm.. I shall sniff a bit around..
*cry* Help site should not be able to change, at least not by a folf :P
« Siste redigering: 29. des, 2009, 10:36 av Wolftale »

Wolftale

• Über Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #18 på: 30. des, 2009, 11:41 »
Wrote some articles, feel free to edit them if something is missing (and aweful misspellings).

Glutexo

• Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #19 på: 30. des, 2009, 17:18 »
So the wiki is made? I don't think I will write anything, I am more active on other wikis. AAnd I know really little about it. If I want to write about furry I can translate English Wikipedia articles and put them at Norwegian Wikipedia. The only thing that makes me want to write is that I can write in nynorsk. Maybe I'll translate some articles that is already written to nynorsk. I might do that.

Wolftale

• Über Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #20 på: 31. des, 2009, 09:34 »
Btw, am I the only one that get this error when I try to upload something?;

Internal Error

DB connection error: Access denied for user 'no'at 'localhost' to database 'pool' (localhost)
« Siste redigering: 31. des, 2009, 14:10 av Wolftale »

Montainafox

• Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #21 på: 31. des, 2009, 11:06 »
Har nok lyst å støtte arbeidet på WikiFur men tror det kan fort litt for mange skrivefeil for en tysker ...
Men fint hvis vi kan få med alle aktive pelser i Norge samlet på en side med en liten introdusksjon av seg selv?

Wolftale

• Über Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #22 på: 31. des, 2009, 14:11 »
Har nok lyst å støtte arbeidet på WikiFur men tror det kan fort litt for mange skrivefeil for en tysker ...
Men fint hvis vi kan få med alle aktive pelser i Norge samlet på en side med en liten introdusksjon av seg selv?
Kanke bli mer skrivefeil en mine :P
Man kan alltids lage en tråd om seg selv slik som det gjøres på den engelske :)
Der skriver en litt om seg selv, laster opp bilder og linker til diverse sider.

Montainafox

• Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #23 på: 31. des, 2009, 15:36 »
Teller bare 3 skrivefeil i ditt innlegg nå ..lol...
Skal se litt mer på dette i helgen men det er gjort bra på den engelske syns jeg...
http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Category:Fursuiters
Kanke bli mer skrivefeil en mine :P
Man kan alltids lage en tråd om seg selv slik som det gjøres på den engelske :)
Der skriver en litt om seg selv, laster opp bilder og linker til diverse sider.

GreenReaper

• Fur
  • Vandrende norn
    • Vis profil
    • GreenReaper Studios
« Svar #24 på: 03. jan, 2010, 02:11 »
Btw, am I the only one that get this error when I try to upload something?;

Internal Error

DB connection error: Access denied for user 'no'at 'localhost' to database 'pool' (localhost)

I'm sorry; I've fixed this now. Please do upload any images you need, either locally or to pool.wikifur.com. I hope to get it using images from en.wikifur.com at some point, but this has not been done yet.