Skrevet av Emne: UK Furs In Oslo  (Lest 25334 ganger)

lupestripe

• Fur
    • Vis profil
UK Furs In Oslo
« på: 15. jul, 2010, 00:14 »
Hello

Sorry I am writing in English but I only know a little Norwegian. I am a UK fur and my boyfriend and I are visiting Norway for the first time between 28-30 July. It would be great if we could meet some local furs whilst we are staying there. I have never been to Oslo before so it would be great to be shown around the city and perhaps sample some typical Norwegian food and drink.

We arrive at Rygge at 9.30pm on Wednesday 28th and leave at 5.10pm on Friday 30th. It's a short stay, I know, but it would be great to meet some of you whilst we are there :-)

Lupestripe.

Dax Cyro

• Über Fur
    • Vis profil
    • Dax@furaffinty
Sv: UK Furs In Oslo
« Svar #1 på: 15. jul, 2010, 01:20 »
Hi again, Lupestripe.
While I live a bit outside Oslo (roughly 2 hours) I can probably set off some time from 10.30am to 11.30pm on thursday.
Giving a tour around Oslo shouldn't be a big problem, nor finding some restaurants serving traditional Norwegian food.
Oslo also got plenty of locals furs so we just need to see whom got spare time on those days.

If you need some quick contact my profile includes both msn and e-mail address.
While in Norway you can also reach me on my cell phone number (+47) 95997942.
Else I'm reachable both here and on FA as DaxCyro.

As for myself (so you know what to expect):
The short answer is a 28 year old male with background in IT.
Partly due to Norwegian culture and partly due to several trips abroad I'm quite fluent in both written and aural English.
Within the fandom I'm mostly just a social fur and fursuiter, though don't expect to see me in a fursuit as that's currently WIP by another Oslo furry ;)

Either way.. Welcome to Norway and hope you'll have a great visit.

Miles T.F. Baxxter

• Grunnlegger
  • Administrator
  • Über Fur
  • Buskasklubben
    • Vis profil
    • LiveJournal
« Svar #2 på: 15. jul, 2010, 01:35 »
Hi there Lupestripe!

I'd probably be available for meeting up one of those days (I'm guessing Thursday is the best day for it), and I'm sure other furs would be as well. I'm not a native Oslonian myself, so there might be other more fit guides among us, but I do live fairly close to the city and participate in furmeets there.

I would recommend you give the website Visit Oslo a peek, to see if you find anything of interest there. Anything in particular you're keen on doing while here? Would you prefer to just hang out with local furs, or would you like to take in the culturally significant sights, or visit museums, or go shopping, or something else entirely?

I'm afraid our culinary culture is fairly dull, and probably not too different from the food you have over there. We often have Indian or Italian food at our furmeets, but the Visit Oslo site has a list of restaurants which supposedly serve more traditional Norwegian food which may be of interest to you.

What hotel will you be staying at? Presuming you're staying at a hotel.

Dax Cyro

• Über Fur
    • Vis profil
    • Dax@furaffinty
« Svar #3 på: 15. jul, 2010, 02:04 »
Forgot about the Visit Norway website. Thanks Miles :)
However I wouldn't call our culinary culture too dull. A traditional caribou dish (assuming neither are vegetarian) can be quite tasty. We also got plenty of fish alternatives. Traditional vegetarian alternatives might be a bit tougher to come by, but never say never.
Though most of our more modern cuisine is focused on sampling worldwide recipes.
One word of warning though Norwegian restaurants are expensive.

Also an introduction of Norwegian paws. In march 2010 one of our regional news papers did a report on us, which I later translated on behalf of the reporter.
It's a tad fursuit oriented, but we did what we could to have the reporter focusing on the fandom as a whole.

lupestripe

• Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #4 på: 15. jul, 2010, 02:30 »
Hello guys

It would be fantastic to meet up - I am looking forward to it already. Thursday is definitely the best day as it's our only full-day in Oslo. Regarding the stuff we'd like to do, I am interested in experiencing Norwegian things - stuff I won't find elsewhere. The architecture perhaps, the Norweigan Parliament and any other must-see sights of the city. Shopping and museums interest me less because I can do those sort of things here really - I doubt they will be much different. I'll have a look at the Visit Oslo site and suggest a few things. Are there any fjords nearby?

Regarding food, caribou is definitely worth trying, as are the fish dishes. If you could show us some good places to eat and drink then that would be fantastic. It'd also be great to get a little furmeet organised, perhaps on Thursday evening. Both Wolfie and I are meat eaters and we do like a drink hehe. I am not too concerned about money as we're only in Norway for two days but I have heard it is quite expensive. Still, we are coming out to have a good time :-)

I haven't booked a hotel yet but I will do in the next few days. I have a few in mind. As soon as I have the address, I will let you know.

About me, I am a freelance writer/journalist who does a lot of work in the sports industry. I also do SEO and link building work for various companies, and some of this is, randomly, in Norwegian (I probably know every single local newspaper in your country lols). I am 27 years old, a keen fursuiter and writer of furry fiction who has had a few bits and pieces published in conbooks. I go to EF most years (including this year) and like travelling. The Norwegian Paws article is interesting - we haven't had as mainstream coverage here yet but it's a matter of time I guess.

Check out my livejournal or FA account (user name is lupestripe for both) to grab my MSN/YIM details :-)

Lupe.

P.S. Liking the fox theme  [mad]

P.P.S. Looking at the Visit Oslo site, the following could be interesting: Vigelandsparken, Akershus Castle, Norwegian Museum of Cultural History, Viking Ship Museum (in fact anything Viking - I am from the North-East of England, part of the old Danelaw, The Mini Bottle Gallery.
« Siste redigering: 15. jul, 2010, 02:44 av lupestripe »

Wolftale

• Über Fur
  • The Arctic folf of Waterlilies
    • Vis profil
« Svar #5 på: 15. jul, 2010, 07:04 »
Hi there,
As said on the LJ community, I wouldn't be able to meet you - sadly. But I hope you'll have a great time and enjoy your stay :)
I see you will travel from Rygge til Oslo, and my guess is that  probably a train would work best, but I believe it also goes buses - though the quality on those bus sucks :P
A timetable for Bus and trains.
« Siste redigering: 15. jul, 2010, 07:14 av Wolftale »

Dax Cyro

• Über Fur
    • Vis profil
    • Dax@furaffinty
« Svar #6 på: 15. jul, 2010, 12:58 »
Excellent choices, lupestripe.
Been to all but Norwegian Museum of Cultural History myself. Also if we're lucky with the weather, then Vigeland's park will be very nice.
Another possible spot is "Norsk folkemuseum" (The norwegian museum of the people).
It's a combination of outdoor and indoor museum and is our largest museum of cultural history.

As for architecture.. The parlament can be visited, and as an added bonus you'll be a short walk from The Royal Palace.

I would also suggest taking trip along Akerbrygge (Aker Harbour) to eat. The district is focused on shopping and entertainment, but also have quite a range of different restaurants.

lupestripe

• Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #7 på: 15. jul, 2010, 13:57 »
Wolftale: It's a shame we can't meet up - it all boils down to my working patterns really. I don't get paid holiday so the only time I can really travel is when they don't give me any shifts, which is the case that week. I think the train may be the best option - the last one leaves an hour after we land so hopefully we can make it. Thanks for the link to the site :-)

Dax Cyro: I am glad you like the choices and your suggestions sound good too. As we have limited time, it may be worth coming up with a small plan to see how much we can fit in. Akerbrygge sounds great - it would be fantastic to try Norwegian cuisine (and beer).

Ziggy Wolf

• Über Fur
  • Shaman of the northen tribe
    • Vis profil
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ziggywolf/
« Svar #8 på: 18. jul, 2010, 11:06 »
"Pops his fuzzy head up" Hello there, mind if I join you?  [w-happy]
I`m headding home from Spain that day, and my wiife (yeah we just got hitched) and her mom have planned a shopping trip.
Well I have other plans [w-cool] I`d be happy to show you a bit around.
I sugjest taking a trip around the past the parlament, around the royal castle, down to the Vigelands park.
I`ve also seen these sightseing busses in Oslo lately, maybe we could catch one of those (and spare ourselves a bit of walking heh)
I know quite a few cool stores  and the best bars in Oslo we could visit, if you feel like doing a bit of shopping.
As for the beer, I`d recomend Aass Pils. (no it`s not prenounced ass!) For god sake, what ever you do do not drink the Rignes beer, it tastes like (I`m not sure I should utther that here)

Anyway, I`m 26, a metalhead, quite talkative, (I vomit words) A bit wacky I supose.
I`m currently studying Webdesign in Oslo. I`m also a graphic designer artist, poet, writer, and I also dabble in Tarot and such.
I`m very liberal, don`t like authority, don`t care about gender, sexual prefferances, race, or what you are for that matter.
To use one word to describe myself:  Heavymetalhippie!

I look something like this, just with shorter hair, because my wife made me cut it,
Man, I miss my long sexy hair (sobbs) [w-cry]

http://norwegianpaws.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=238.0;attach=2139;image

Oh you can reach me at 99492280
Dax call me when you get to Oslo, I need someone to take me for walkies
« Siste redigering: 18. jul, 2010, 11:57 av Ziggy_wolf »

lupestripe

• Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #9 på: 19. jul, 2010, 00:03 »
Hello Ziggy, it will be great to see you  [laugh]

I am a metalhead too - Finnish and German metal is probably my favourite although I know Norway has an excellent metal scene too. I too have dabbled in Tarot and am an aspiring furry writer  [eek]

Thanks for all the beer recommendations, I may try Rignes anyway, just to see how bad it is. Dax has my phone number so you can get it from him. Good idea about the bus and I also like the sound of the trip too. I'm looking forward to meeting you  [smile]

Dax Cyro

• Über Fur
    • Vis profil
    • Dax@furaffinty
« Svar #10 på: 19. jul, 2010, 01:13 »
Ringnes (forgot an N) :)
Also I've forwarded the number to Ziggy with the Forums internal PM system.

Ziggy Wolf

• Über Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #11 på: 19. jul, 2010, 11:37 »
Thanx Dax. [w-cool]
OK I here by decree that we are so going to Rock inn this totaly awsome rock bar, not far from the parlament. Mittens works there, she is totaly awsome, I hope we have time to swing by her. Og yea and there`s  Elmstreet, also a totaly awssome bar, where they play nothing but rock, and they have these uber comfy huge chesterfeild coutches. And probably the citys best chilliburger. though the beer is a little more pricey than at Rock inn. We can probably whip out our sketchpads while we`re there and have a little drawing session.
Tellos (the fox dude with the blue hair) is amazing when it comes to theese sort of things, we should try to drag him along.
"Throws a pencil at the back of Tellos`s head"
Not far from Elmstreet we have this metal/goth shop called bodymap I thought we might check out if you`re in to that kinda stuff. (it`s where I get most of my coloars from lol) Oh and We`ve got Outland wich is somthing along the lines of Forbiden planet wich they have over in the UK, also worth a visit, if  you want to grab some hard to find comics, dvds and what not.

lupestripe

• Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #12 på: 20. jul, 2010, 00:45 »
Thanks Dax, much appreciated.

Ziggy:
Cools, it would be great to meet Mittens and Tellos and check out the rock bar, particularly as it's near to the parliament. I get into Oslo about 11pm on Wednesday evening - is anything going to be open then? Drawing session would be great, reminds me of my trip to Malaysia where I met some local furs too. I like your other suggestions too, sounds like we are going to be very busy ^^

Ziggy Wolf

• Über Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #13 på: 20. jul, 2010, 02:16 »
Let`s see I don`t think I`ll be able to make it to Oslo untill arround, one oclock ish, maybe earlyer, but I`ll give a hollar when I`m in the city, awrite?

Kaoskatten

• Senior Fur
  • yes.. you may call me Mittens...
    • Vis profil
    • Kaoskåken
« Svar #14 på: 20. jul, 2010, 03:21 »
Ziggy! U'll need to sms me so I remember this! Or get over to my place and drag me out of bed or something!
My personal space, respect it!

Ziggy Wolf

• Über Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #15 på: 20. jul, 2010, 10:10 »
Roflmao`ll try my best heh  [w-happy]

Miles T.F. Baxxter

• Grunnlegger
  • Administrator
  • Über Fur
  • Buskasklubben
    • Vis profil
    • LiveJournal
« Svar #16 på: 20. jul, 2010, 12:53 »
I would also suggest taking trip along Akerbrygge (Aker Harbour) to eat. The district is focused on shopping and entertainment, but also have quite a range of different restaurants.

Aker brygge is nice, but it's known for being pricey, and do you know if there are any places there serving traditional-ish Norwegin food there?

Anyone know how to get to Vigelandsparken and the Viking Ship Museum? I'm guessing you'd have to take the tram to the former, and the ferry (from either Vippetangen or from Aker brygge) to the latter.

The sights that are all rather close to one another in downtown Oslo are: the palace, the national theater, the parlament, the city hall, and Akershus fortress (which is located at Aker brygge).

Kaoskatten

• Senior Fur
  • yes.. you may call me Mittens...
    • Vis profil
    • Kaoskåken
« Svar #17 på: 20. jul, 2010, 14:51 »
Yup Aker Brygge is silly pricey. Screw that. The vikingship museum on the other hand is absolutely worth it, and it's very close to Norsk Folkemuseum, where u can see culture and art from all over the country through the history.

To plan your travelroute I suggest to use trafikanten.no It's simpel. To get to the viking ship museum, (at Bygdøy, lovely scenery!) simply type from: jernbanetorget, to destination: vikingskipene. Bus nr 30 runs often and it only takes like 20 min to get out there.

The food on the other hand is tricky. I'll try my best and google around for some nice "gjestegiveri" a bit later. (that's probably the best way to find true Norwegian food) XD

My personal space, respect it!

Dax Cyro

• Über Fur
    • Vis profil
    • Dax@furaffinty
« Svar #18 på: 20. jul, 2010, 16:47 »
Mittens: Thanks, I was actually looking for the word (Gjestegiveri). How about Stortorvets gjestegiveri?
Lies 2 blocks away from Oslo Domkirke and Glassmagasinet.

Lupestripe: English version of their webpage
« Siste redigering: 20. jul, 2010, 16:51 av Dax Cyro »

lupestripe

• Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #19 på: 21. jul, 2010, 00:12 »
I have just booked our hotel, it's the Theater Hotel at Stortingsgata 16. It is around the corner from the Hard Rock Cafe it seems.

Stortorvets gjestegiveri looks fantastic, definitely the sort of place I'd love to try. And Norwegian cheese platter <3

Okay, if someone could help me plan a route, it would be brilliant. I think checking out downtown Oslo should be our first plan of action on Thursday and then we'll take it from there. Would definitely like to go to the viking ship museum too :-)

I will get into Oslo City Centre around 11.30pm, are there any good places to go for a drink open at that hour?

No worries about 1pm Ziggy, I am sure we can arrange to meet up. I hope to be up and about at around 10am on Thursday if anyone fancies meeting that early [laugh]
« Siste redigering: 21. jul, 2010, 00:14 av lupestripe »

Dax Cyro

• Über Fur
    • Vis profil
    • Dax@furaffinty
« Svar #20 på: 21. jul, 2010, 03:54 »
Hm. I can solve this in two ways.
If I can find a sleeping spot for wednesday to thursday I can easily meet up at 10.00
Alternatively I need to catch a 07.35 am or 09.35 am train from my hometown. Arriving at Oslo S around 09.35 am or 11.35 am respectively.
Mitten or Tellos, mind having a nightly visitor again? **Innocent puppy eyes**

How about this?
We'll meet up at Oslo S, then head straight to "The viking ship museum" and "People's museum".
Stay there for a while, then head back to Oslo to meet up with Ziggy and anyone else that wants to tag along.
Eat at "Stortorvet gjestgiveri", then take a small walk to see the various local building (parlament, etc..) and Vigelandsparken.
Once all that is completed Ziggy can lead the pub walk and drawing session. And I agree with Ziggy, Outland is mandatory :P

I haven't set any times as I need to find out how and when I should travel.
Another alternative is someone else starting "the tour" at 10.00am while I catch up 2 hours later.

As for Wednesday. Mittens do you work on Wednesday evening? I still suck at remembering your work schedule. Sorry :(
If she works that night, then you should definitely head by Rock-in and look for a stunning and friendly bar keeper ;)

Ziggy Wolf

• Über Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #21 på: 21. jul, 2010, 11:32 »
I`ll see if I can make it to Oslo a little earlier, I`m a sucker for anything viking related.
Oh can we go somewhere where the menues have pictures of the food "jumps up and down"
Oh let`s  go somewhere where the menues have pictures of the food!!! (Famlyguy refference for those of you who didn`t get it) [w-happy]

lupestripe

• Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #22 på: 21. jul, 2010, 16:26 »
Sounds like an excellent plan Dax, I'm all for doing that. Ziggy, if you can make Oslo a little earlier then fantastic, if not I am sure we can wait for you and doing the viking related stuff later in the day. So if we meet up at our hotel at 10am on Thursday, will that work for everybody? I can make it later if it's more convenient.

Do you have an address for Rock-In? It would be great to go for a beer when I arrive in Norway. I think my mate will be arriving in Oslo around lunchtime on the Wednesday so any recommendations of stuff for him to do whilst he waits for me would be appreciated.

I am getting very excited about this now ^^

Wolfie

• Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #23 på: 21. jul, 2010, 18:15 »
I thought best to post, Hello All! I'm lupes better (or worse, depends if you listen to him or not) Half  [laugh] It will be nice to see you all. I should be getting into Oslo at around lunch time. If anybody is free or wants to meet up that would be awesome, If not, are there any good things you can point me at, So I can kill a few hours?  [w-happy]

Ziggy Wolf

• Über Fur
    • Vis profil
« Svar #24 på: 21. jul, 2010, 23:01 »
Well if we could do the viking related stuff (the museum) later thatn that`d be awsome.
Cause I get home from Spain really late on Wednesday.
Rockinn isn`t thaqt far from Karljohan, wich goes from the trainstation up to the palace.
Sp both Rockin,, Elmstreet, Bodymap and Outland are along Karljohan.
I`d whip up a map but, uhm to be honest, the screen is getting a little hard to reed "looks over at a half empty bottle of mojito and chuckles"